Monday, May 25, 2009

Reflections on my time in Davis Christian Fellowship

Sunset over lake Berryesa

More than any professor, class, club, sport, or hobby, my involvement with Davis Christian Fellowship has made the most impact on my life during my time at UC Davis.  I was first introduced to DCF my freshman year when a high school friend of mine, Jason Pope, invited me to his core group he co-led with Will Klier.  I didn't attend Friday night worship gatherings or go to many events, but I was connected to the small group in the Tercero guys core.

The DCF house at 312 A street

When I began looking for housing for Sophomore year, I was introduced to Jason Conklin who was then apart of a Segundo core group.  Together, along with Matt English, who was in my Tercero core group, we began looking for housing and found a place at Sundance, apartment 216.  Sophomore year I continued to infrequently attend Friday night gatherings and other events.  Towards the end of my sophomore year, Jason, Matt, and I began looking for a fourth roommate to help share the cost of rent.  Unable to find another person, we signed the lease anyway to live there another year.  Just after this, Jason Pope, asked if the three of us would like to live at 624 Villanova.  Wanting to move to Villanova, but having already signed our lease, it seemed as if our timing could not have been worse.  It was then however, that fellow DCFers Gabby, Shannon, Joanne, and Caralee contacted us hoping to take our apartment.  The transition went smoothly as we signed our lease over to them and moved into our new place at Villanova where Jason Conklin, Matt English, Jason Pope, Ian Dick, Marc Madrigal and I lived Junior year.

Dinner with the girls of apartment 216 and the villanova boys

Junior year I became more involved, attending Friday night worship, weekly core group, winter retreat, and many other events.  I felt apart of the community, able to contribute in a meaningful way and grow spiritually as I was encouraged by those in the community.  Jason Pope married his high school girlfriend and left Villanova to live and work in San Diego.  Senior year came and Jake Hosier, Harry Jin, and Tim Oldenkamp joined our house.

Villanova house fiesta to discuss a few items on the house agenda

Senior year I was continually blessed with the love, guidance, and support of my roommates and friends in DCF.  The more I gave, the more I was able to receive.  It wasn't the activities, or places we went, or things we did that influenced me so much as it was the people, with their concern, generosity, and love.  Their concern for my spiritual growth, selflessness in time and attention, and love that wasn't afraid to confront or admonish.  I have never seen or experienced this kind of love anywhere else.  Davis Christian Fellowship is a Christ centered community where the power of the Holy Spirit is alive and active, working in and through the lives of those in the community.  I am thankful to have been apart of this community and hope that I will be able to show others the love of Christ that was so selflessly shown to me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment