Sunday, November 25, 2012

Straight Razor Shaving Stand


An important aspect of maintaining a straight razor is ensuring your razor (and shaving brush) dry thoroughly after each use.  Keeping these items dry will prevent the high carbon steel blade from rusting and your brush from deteriorating or building up soap scum.  A shaving stand also helps prevent the razor's edge from being nicked or the brush's bristles from being crushed.  

Stands can vary from expensive store bought models to crudely bent coat hangers.  I thought a stand would make a great laser cutting project so I set out to make my own!  After some online searching, I found a shaving stand design developed for a double edged (or similar) razor at r/wickededge. I adapted the design to accommodate my straight razor and laser cut the pieces from 1/8" cherry.  After a bit of gluing and varnishing my stand turned out looking pretty sharp (shaving pun intended, har-har).  If you're interested in making your own, I've shared the shaving stand design here.

3 comments:

merkur safety razor said...

Thanks for the post. I had been looking for something
related and found your web site in the process.. I will definitely be back for more.

Ultraman_USA said...

Are finished ones available for sale?

Glenn Langton said...

Sure, just send me an e-mail and I'll give you the price breakdown.

Post a Comment